Spotted Cow Cookies - Our spotted cow cookies are udderly
delicious! And fun for you and the kids to make, too.
2½ cups all-purpose
1 teaspoon baking
1/2 teaspoon salt
(1½ sticks) butter or margarine, at room temperature
1 cup granulated
1 teaspoon vanilla
unsweetened cocoa poser
1. Prepare vanilla dough: Stir together 1¼ cups flour, 1/2
teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium size
2. Beat together 6 tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup sugar,1 egg and 1/2
teaspoon of vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Gradually
beat in flour mixture until a dough forms. Shape dough into a flat
disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate several hours or
3. Prepare chocolate dough: Repeat steps 1 and 2, adding cocoa
powder to remaining flour, baking powder and salt and mixing with
remaining butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Refrigerate chocolate
4. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat baking dish with nonstick cooking
5. Roll vanilla dough out on lightly floured surface to 3/8-inch
thickness. Using 4x3-inch cow-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 8
cows. With wide, flat metal spatula, transfer each cow to prepared
baking sheet. Using 3/4-inch round or scalloped cutter, cut 2 or 3
rounds from each cow: remove to small baking sheet and reserve for
step 7. Gather scraps of dough; shape into disk; wrap and
6. Repeat rolling and cutting with chocolate dough, refrigerating
7. Place vanilla rounds in cutouts on chocolate cows and chocolate
rounds in vanilla cows. Sprinkle with sugar.
8. Bake in preheated 350° oven 8 to 10 minutes until lightly
golden and crisped around edges. Cool on sheet 1 minute. Remove to
rack to cool.
9. Repeat rolling, cutting and baking until all scraps of dough
have been make into cows.